Our School - School Uniform Policy
South Yarra Primary School
School Uniform Policy (commences 2017)
A uniform dress code reinforces in students a pride in their own appearance, instils recognition of themselves as an integral part of the school community, and assists in developing pride in representing their school. Issues of equality, health and safety, and expense are also factors that contribute to the establishment of the Dress Code.
1. To promote and encourage the wearing of the South Yarra Primary School uniform. No other brand
logo should be visible on garments.
2. To foster school identification, spirit and unity.
3. To provide a practical and economical range of clothing to be worn by students.
4. To provide guidelines for the dress-safety of children.
5. To provide a uniform following the guidelines listed in the school?s Sunsmart Policy.
South Yarra Primary School aims to support the development of the following capabilities in students:
- To promote equality amongst all students.
- To further develop a sense of pride in, and identification with our school.
- To provide durable clothing that is cost effective and practical for our school environment.
- To maintain and enhance the positive image of the school in the community.
- To promote a sense of belonging, confidence, self-reliance and positive self-esteem.
1. All students are expected to wear South Yarra Primary School uniform.
It is a requirement for excursions or when representing the school.
2. School uniform is decided by School Council and any changes must be approved by School Council.
3. Members of sporting teams will wear appropriate team uniform.
4. Students are expected to wear appropriate and safe footwear. Black school shoes and black, navy blue or white runners are acceptable.
5. Students are expected to wear South Yarra Primary School sun hats in Term 1 and 4 in line with the school's Sunsmart Policy.
For safety reasons, jewellery may not be worn. Students with pierced ears are to wear sleepers or studs only.
6. Hair ribbons: Students may wear navy, maroon or white ribbons or SYPS fabric scrunchies in their hair. No other hair decorations are to be worn.
7. Cost of school uniform will be kept to a minimum.
8. All items of school uniform must be labelled clearly with the student's name. This is essential and ensures that student uniform items that are lost can be returned to their rightful owner if found.
This policy will be reviewed as part of the school?s three-year review cycle.
THIS POLICY WAS RATIFIED BY SCHOOL COUNCIL in November 2016.